Two lucky individuals will have a chance to win an eye shadow palette and brushes. All you must do is follow the directions below:
It never ceases to amaze me. I log onto Facebook thinking I’m going to have the ultimate Facebook experience, but instead I end up feeling like I’m on an episode of Punk’d. The crazy thing about it is that it has become the norm on Facebook to be obnoxious, bipolar or just weird. I am certain that a lot of people don’t realize that they are being annoying because they don’t have the slightest idea how to engage socially. This is where I come in. I don’t profess to be an expert, but I’m a people person and I know people pretty well. Therefore, I have come up with a few cardinal sins that no one should attempt to commit on Facebook. Why? Because I said so, duh! No, really, it just makes you appear socially awkward and will probably scare away your Facebook friends if you do these things. If you can try to steer clear of these social networking blunders, people will probably try not to avoid you when they see you on the street. Here goes:
1) Facebook “poking” is considered subtle flirting. Poking has become one of those tabs that is overused. Go easy on the pokes!
2) Facebook Addiction Syndrome relates to anyone who is unable to log off of Facebook. They literally stay on Facebook all day and all night. If you are this person, join your local support group fast because there are bound to be thousands of others just like ya, bruh. How do you know you have a problem? You continually stay watching updates on your phone ALL FREAKING DAY! Don’t be surprised if you see me in there!
3) Facebook Attention Whores are just that, attention seekers, but on Facebook! They crave attention and Facebook is their platform so they use it to the umpteenth power! They tend to share wayyyy too much information about themselves and their lives on Facebook. They don’t realize that they are inviting all the judgments and criticisms that follow. If this is you, you probably think its cute, but it’s just plain annoying. You might want to try acting classes if you need an outlet to display your drama because you clearly missed your calling!
4) Facebook affairs/cheating start when someone is cheating on their boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife on Facebook with inappropriate inboxes and messages. They start tagging each other in certain posts and commenting on each others’ pages. You know its not right, but you do it anyway and eventually you exchange telephone numbers. That’s when the normal cheating starts until your significant other finds out and blasts your stupid behinds on Facebook! By this time, half of your Facebook friends had already peeped it with all the inappropriate tags and what not!
5) Facebook Dick Rider is one who always seems to comment on someone’s Facebook statuses, photos, or post. They are freaking relentless! It never fails! I counted my posts in one week and noticed that the same person commented each time I posted! Not only is it creepy, it’s just weird! If you do this, stop it right now! One person’s posts can’t be that dang good to you!
6) Facebook Drama Queen is the same as a Facebook Attention Whore.
7) Facebook Papparazzi are people who are constantly taking pictures to post on their Facebook pages. They don’t care how you look because they will always be ready! They do it as an attempt to make their life look more fun or interesting, but in real life they are far from Angelina and Brad!
8) Facebook hickey happens typically when a female makes her presence known on her significant other’s page to discourage lurking hopefuls from trying to get to them. It doesn’t work. Their inbox still works. See Facebook Affairs.
9) The Facebook Faker is a person that appears super hot in their Facebook pics, but in real life is not so attractive! This is usually a catfish situation, but that aint none of my business!
10) Facebook Gamers send game requests all day!!!! It’s the most annoying thing on Facebook. You reject one, and ten more come just like it! It’s a Facebook cancer that won’t disappear. It has gotten to the point where I have nightmares about Candy Crush. If you’re a Facebook Gamer, get a life! Some of us hate it and we are trying to be nice about it!
Well, there are more. Maybe I will post them in another blog, but for now you get the picture! Go and try to not to commit these sins ever again!
On Saturday, June 21, I attended Beauty and the Beat-Dallas, hosted by celebrity makeup artists Renny Vasquez and Tatiana Ward, also known as BeatFaceHoney on Twitter and Instagram. They are currently on a multi-city tour to help train the next group of up and coming makeup artists. It was a wonderful experience. The class was just big enough for artists to feel free to ask questions and to get to know Renny and Tatiana.
Even though Renny and Tatiana had very interesting success stories, I found them both to be very genuine individuals. Despite getting to the same destination at the same time, they both have two very different stories. However, they offered the same advice for anyone looking to become a makeup artist in the future. Here are their pearls of wisdom:
1) Build relationships. No matter what business you’re in, relationships will be an important factor in your business. In order to be successful, you will need to practice building healthy business relationships. In the makeup world, an amicable relationship with a client can turn into a great opportunity for the next job. Todays interns are tomorrows bosses. It is critical to your success to treat them all the same to help build a name for yourself in the industry.
2) Don’t let your excuses become your story. Many people will have a dream or a goal, but fail to plan properly. When the plan fails, all they can give you is a bunch of excuses why the plan didn’t work. Renny says that when you’re really determined to succeed you will not allow anything to discourage you from your dream. Excuses will keep you from becoming successful.
3) Don’t worry about time. Just do it right. No one needs a makeup artist that is fast and ineffective. I wouldn’t care how long a makeup artist takes if I walk away looking like perfection. Renny states that a good makeup artist isn’t concerned with time. They just want to get it right.
4) Preparation helps you meet opportunity. Little jobs can help you prepare for the big jobs. Don’t turn down those free jobs or menial jobs. Use those jobs as opportunities to help prepare you for your ultimate job. Things don’t just happen by happenstance. Prepare yourself for your big opportunity by doing all the little jobs that are going to lead you to the big one.
5) Demonstrate whats unique about you to your client. If you’re on Instagram, you know that it is flooded with aspiring makeup artists and small boutiques trying to become the next big fish in a massive pond. If you’re one of those makeup artists that wants to be the next best makeup artist in the game, then you need to do something that makes you stand out. No one can tell you what is great about you, but you. Figure it out and deliver it every single time to your clients.
If you’re aspiring to become a makeup artist and you’re not having much luck. try these five tips from Renny. Don’t give up! If you’re interested in getting more information about Beauty and the Beat makeup class with Renny and Tatiana, you can go to www.beautyandthebeatmemphis.eventbrite.com.
You ever wonder how you have 1500 Facebook friends, but you never hear a peep from half of them? Then you post an amazing topic and leave it up for a week, but only 100 likes and barely any comments! What about the great pics you posted from the beach? Wait, I lost weight for those suckers just so I could post! Still, nothing!
I have finally learned that no matter how great your posts and your pics are, there are still numerous people on your Facebook friends list that will never like or comment on your posts. These people are habitual lurkers and they are happy as such. They get on just to scroll through timelines, but you never know they’re there until they mention your post topics or pics in general conversation some where. That’s how you know that these individuals are watching, but they are NEVER going to say anything. There isn’t much you can do about it. However, I have compiled a list of the main types of lurkers and the real reasons why they lurk. Here goes:
1) Some FB friends are just nosey. They don’t want you to know it, though. They live for the drama, the break ups, the make ups, the gossip, and secret groups. If it weren’t for Facebook, they would never know anything about anyone. However, they must appear like they don’t care. Don’t let them fool you. They know everyone in their friends list and they can tell you their every move….if they post it on Facebook!
2) Some of your FB friends are afraid to appear stupid. These are the friends with whom I sympathize. Intelligent rants aren’t their strong suit. Therefore, silence is their friend. There is nothing you can do about it unless you want to go back and educate them. Spelling might be a problem for them, as well. They are probably a bit grammatically challenged, but it’s just safer to remain quiet. Thus, they lurk.
3) Some of your exes are afraid of what their current spouses or significant others’ will say. They are watching, too, you know? Your ex wants to comment on those throwback pictures you posted, but they can’t. They know if they do, they will catch all kinds of crap from their significant other who peruses their page faithfully just to see if any exes are posting anything inappropriate. They know ALL about you! To try to keep the peace, your ex just can’t! That’s why they have their friends do it! It’s called Ex-gate! You can’t win against ex-lurkers. Just cross them off your like list. Not a bad idea to delete them just to keep the drama at a minimum.
4) Some just lack confidence. They weren’t popular in school and they rarely talk to people now. They still have a problem with their extreme shyness. They want to connect, but they haven’t yet learned how. Wait on it! They might come around.
5) Some of your FB friends are groupies and not fans. The case of groupie-gate is serious! Haters are real and they follow you on Facebook. They don’t care anything about you, your life, or your struggle, but they follow you so they can witness firsthand. Then, go back and discuss with their friends. I call them groupies and not fans because don’t love the people they stalk; they just need something to talk about. Facebook groupies aren’t any different. No sense in deleting them either because they will just go to their friends page and lurk from there. I kind of like my groupies because I make sure I give them plenty to discuss. Never a dull moment on my page.
This is how you handle the above group of Facebook friends: accept them. They might not be worth a good debate in a post, but they sure make your friends list look good. They aren’t a complete wash. Revel in it.
Funny thing happened to me on my way to 40; I grew up. I learned so many things about myself and about life in general. If I had learned these things 20 years ago, I might have saved myself some major blunders. At 40, I think I am just starting to understand the meaning of life. I try to tell my daughters, but they think I don’t know anything. Hence, the reason I wrote number eight. Since they won’t listen, maybe some young person who didn’t have a mom or dad to tell them these things will. Here goes….
I have few regrets, but I plan to have even less before I die. I think I have finally learned the key to happiness. At 40, I’m finally living. It took a long time, but I’m so grateful I got here. Now it’s your turn to go out and give life a fair shot!
Here’s the Introduction to my upcoming eBook, “Confidence Is More Than a Word, It’s an Attitude”
When I was about ten years old, I made myself up in my aunt’s makeup and went to school. At the time, I was living with my aunt. She left for work an hour earlier than my cousin and I would leave for school. She had no idea that I used to play in her makeup. On this particular day, I had decided that I wanted to take my show on the road and look like all the adults at school because I have always thought I was grown. I presumed that if I did this, then I would look better than the rest of my classmates. At least, that was my assumption! I think I surprised everyone, even myself!
Fashion Fair was the brand and I know I must have used as much foundation as I could on my face. I did not care because in my mind I was fabulous! I will never forget the reaction on the boys’ faces when I walked in the room with all of my makeup and my head held high. John Washington sat in front of me and said, “You look like a monkey!” I still did not care! What did he know anyway? He was just a boy!
Mrs. Stone, my fifth grade teacher, walked up to me and told me to go wash my face. Even then, I thought everyone else had the problem and not me. Regardless of what anyone thought of me that day, I still had my own perception. It was my own personal view of myself that enabled me to walk into that classroom looking totally ridiculous and still feel good about myself.
Today I can tell you that I am still that same girl that will do the most outrageous things and not care what other people think. A few years ago, I had to take a personality test on a previous job to find out what my talents were. It came as no surprise to me that my number one personality trait was my ability to “woo” the crowd, which stands for “winning over others”. That is how my moniker “SashaWoo” was derived. My coworker told me that when I walked in with my makeup and full diva regalia I was no longer Ponchitta Lilly; I was SashaWoo! She was right! Makeup and hair are an immediate confidence boost for me and then I come alive! Hence, the reason I know I was born to sell makeup. I have learned the one thing about me that sets me apart from everyone else. It has nothing to do with my Fashion Fair makeup. That one thing is CONFIDENCE!
These days they call it SWAG, but whatever you call it, recognize the importance of what it is. Then you need to recognize what it can do for you and your image, your career, and your personal life. Whether you need to spruce up your personal or professional life, more self-confidence will help accomplish that.
Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce’ did not become overnight successes due to raw talent alone. They had help! What helps them is their self-confidence. It takes self-confidence to walk into a room full of people that are totally opposite your own personality wearing only a feather or pink hair. After all, that is not the kind of stuff that normal people do every day, right? However, that one thing sets these three entertainers apart. They have learned how to woo the crowd by walking into a room and being noticed. Not everyone has that talent and this is why I am writing this book.
Many people may think that I sell makeup, but I disagree. What I sell is confidence and makeup is a byproduct of my sales. I can tell you that if you can learn how to be self-confident and self-assured, then everything else will be easy.
I have met thousands of women that came to me not wanting my makeup, but a bottle of confidence! That is what I sell them before I sell them one tube of lipstick or foundation. Makeup will not do one single thing for your image if you cannot own who you already are! We are all beautiful and unique in our own special way! No amount of makeup can hide your inner insecurities until you have learned to master the art of being happy with whom you are before you apply any makeup! The purpose of makeup is to enhance one’s own natural beauty. It was not created
to mask your own individuality!
When I wrote Confidence Is More than a Word, It’s an Attitude, I was thinking of every woman that looked at another woman and thought I want to be like her! I want to tell that woman, no you want to be a better version of you because who you are is already a first edition bestseller! You just have not learned how to market your masterpiece! I am going to tell you how to do that with class, charm, and charisma. If you want to be
the “It” person that people call or come to, then you have to learn what it means to be confident and get yourself in front of the crowd.
I hardly had to learn how to be confident to woo the crowd. However, I did have to learn how to harness those skills to make them beneficial professionally. When I did, I saw heaven’s gates open! I noticed how people responded to me because of my confidence. I noticed that my self-confidence in interviews, meetings, and new adventures always led to new and better opportunities for me.
If you are reading this book, then maybe you need some more reassuring in this area. I am here to tell you that what you are about to read works. If you apply these simple suggestions to your own personal and professional life, then you will certainly see how your circles will begin to grow and your personal and professional life will benefit. People will want to know who you are and remember your name.
I truly believe that there is an inner “woo” in each of us. All you have to do is learn the right tools to awaken the dragon! Once you do, watch how positively people respond to you! Woo the crowd and win their hearts….
Confidence Is More Than a Word, It’s an Attitude will be released in the Fall!
June sparks National Cancer Survivor’s Day. For the past 27 years the United States has celebrated survivors of cancer. Today we celebrate 14 million cancer survivors in our country and to show our support The National Cancer Organization has designated special colors to wear showing support for a particular type of cancer.
Cancer, which affects all colors and nationalities, affects millions annually. If we have not personally been affected by cancer, we know someone who has. It could be our mothers, sisters, brothers, family, or friends. Some survived, but some did not. In an effort to show our love and support for those who made it and those who did not, let us all wear the colors that represent the cancers that have affected our lives.
Dark Blue————Colon Cancer
Green——————-Gallbladder or Liver
Light Blue—————-Prostate Cancer
What do you do if you have several loved ones who have been affected by the different cancers? Wear more than one color on another day for the rest of this month. National Cancer Survivor’s Day lasts for the entire month of June. Therefore, you have all month to support the ones you love.
Now, go be supportive! I’m wearing Pink today. What are you wearing?