The Ten Commandments aren’t just in the New Testament of the Bible. They are also in the makeup world and I am going to give you the lowdown so that you don’t ever commit any of these cardinal sins and live a long happy makeup life! There are rules to this game and I’m here to make sure you play by them. If you commit to following them, you should have more success with your makeup. 1) Thou shalt protect thy skin. Never underestimate the value of a good skincare regimen. The best way to have great-looking makeup starts with great-looking skin. Take care of it and it will take care of you during those spotlight moments.
2) Thou shalt invest in good brushes. Specific brushes serve a specific purpose. They can create a specific look. If you want your look to be flawless and fierce, eighty-six the plastic applicators.
3) Thou shalt match thine foundation properly. We’ve seen it a thousand times, but I can never understand why it is so hard! Get three colors, match them against your lower cheek. Whichever one fades into the skin is the correct color! Boom there it is! Lighter foundation will make you look fake, while darker foundation will make you look older.
4) Thou shalt define thine brows. It doesn’t matter if your eyebrows are too thick or too thin, precision is the goal. At least if they are neatly sculpted, you can then use an eyebrow pencil to fill in the area to get a more polished look. Your eyebrows won’t look as good if they aren’t “clean”. Ultimately, your makeup won’t look as flawless either. Face it, eyebrows can make or break a look.
5) Thou shalt learn how to apply eyeshadow to your own eyes. This will require good brushes again! One of the cool things about makeup is our fascination with color. You will be able to do a lot with your eyes and eyeshadow when you learn how to apply your shadow to your own eyes and learn what colors work well with your eye color and eye shape. If you’re not a makeup artist, then all you have to do is learn what works for your face. That’s easy! All you have to do is practice, practice, practice!
6) Thou shalt go easy on the lashes. Lashes are supposed to enhance your beauty and give you Bambi-like appeal. If your lashes make you look different in a bad way, then you need to change your lashes. Nowadays there are so many different alternatives that it is virtually impossible to get this trick wrong. You can try individual lashes, strips or semi-permanent. In either case, find the lashes that are attractive, but natural-looking.
7) Thou shalt learn to highlight and contour. Oh, this can be tricky, but fun! With enough patience and practice, you can become a pro overnight. Just remember that you want to highlight the areas that people will be drawn to like the center of your face, under-eye, middle forehead, nose, and chin. Then contour those places that recede such as edge of the face, the sides of your nose, and lower bones of your cheeks.
9) Thou shalt not be afraid of color on the lips. Nothing lights up your face better than colored lipstick. Sometimes that is all you need. If you have full lips, line them first then fill them in with color. Test your color and try as many as possible. Why? Color is our friend! It brightens, it lightens, and it uplifts!
10) Thou shalt learn thine face and find out what looks work best for thine own face. We are all different. That is what makes us unique. The beauty of it is that what looks good on you may not look good on me, just like with clothes. You dress according to your figure. Well your makeup should be created according to your face, which is a beautiful canvas just waiting for your creativity and imagination. I hope this sums it up. Good luck following these commandments. If you come across any trouble, just remember these tips!