By now I bet you’re wishing that the Covid-19 virus 😷 would die already! However, it seems to be a relentless little headache! Nonetheless, we still can be using this time at home wisely by becoming more informed about the world and what’s going on around us.
I have really enjoyed this time at home. I used this time to educate myself and I’ve been able to accomplish a lot that I previously had no time to do. Now I have no excuse and neither do you. I would like to encourage you to use this time of isolation wisely by educating yourself 📖 on a few worldly things that will help you become more empowered under the current global climate. Here are five powerful quarantine ideas to help you feel more empowered and knowledgeable about what’s going on around you.
- Educate yourself about Covid-19. This pandemic started all the way across the world in China and speedily made it’s way to the United States by January. When it came, it came with a vengeance. This is why we should be educating ourselves about this deadly virus and what we can do individually to try to stop the spread. The more we know, the more we are able to understand how this affects all of us and not just some. Then we can do our part to slow the spread of the virus one by one.
- Improve your knowledge of United States history. It seems that everyone has their own ideological explanation of the history of this country based on their own self-serving biases. Here’s the issue: there are the facts and then there are the stories. Most people tend to base their beliefs and philosophy from the stories that they hear from family, news, and propaganda, rather than the facts. It has all become so convoluted that personal ideologies ignore the facts. In order for us to heal some of the damage that has been done in our history to its inhabitants, we have to take an honest look at the facts. Then we can intelligently argue the basis of our principles from a stronger viewpoint. Only then can we begin to heal from the damage that has been done and tear down the belief that one group has made America greater than any other. That belief is ludicrous and untrue!
- Become more enlightened about Black Lives Matter Movement and why it’s necessary. There seems to be a huge misunderstanding mainly within the white community that Black Lives Matter protesters are trying to affirm a superior stance above other groups of people and that is just totally and completely false. The Movement started as the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter to draw attention to the injustices received by blacks in the judicial system and the surge of police brutality faced by African Americans. There would be no need to draw attention to the topic if so many blacks had not been brutally beaten, killed, or mistreated by our judicial systems and police organizations. To ignore the fact of the huge disparity of treatment between blacks and whites within our country is to choose to be totally oblivious to what’s happening right outside your doorsteps. If you’re one of the ones that like to correct those who support #BlackLivesMatter with #AllLivesMatter, then here’s how I can make this make sense for you. I am going to set your house on fire. When you call the police and tell them that your house is on fire, I am going to tell the police that we all have houses and our houses matter, too. Even though my house isn’t on fire, I want to take the attention away from the serious problem that you have just to make my own ego feel better despite the fact that my house doesn’t have a damn thing to do with your very obvious problem! Now, do you see how ridiculous you sound?
- Learn more about the voting process, how it works, and how you can be more informed. According to statistics, half of Americans don’t vote 🗳. This group of “apathetic” voters is critical to the success or failure of the 2020 election. Trust me, there is a lot on the line. Voting is an American right that we should not take lightly, especially nonwhite Americans. People have fought and died for the right to vote. Therefore, we should not take this privilege lightly. That’s why Americans should learn about the democratic system. Find out when, where, how, and why you should vote. Then, actually, listen to the candidates and figure out why they should get your vote. Exercise your rights or don’t say a damn thing when your quality of life is compromised because you allowed someone who doesn’t have your interest at heart to get elected. Get involved because your future generations depend on it.
- Have a candid conversation with your children about humanity and why it’s everybody’s job to take care of the universe, the community, and each other. This is by far the most critical step in making the world better, safer, and more humane. Education starts at home. When we get back to raising our children to be kind, tolerant, and compassionate, the world will shift accordingly. Our world is filled with hate and ignorance that can only be cured by arming ourselves with the knowledge we need to fight the hate.
Contrary to what many may believe, ignorance is not bliss! Knowledge is most definitely power. We have a responsibility to ourselves, our communities, and our nation to get involved in the process so that we can help teach, educate, coach, explain, prepare, train, discipline, enlighten, and instruct others. None of this can happen without educating ourselves.
Here are a few links below that you can use to learn more about the topics mentioned above: