Hello, and welcome back to The Ponch Line Blog! Today I will be sharing ten fun facts about me so that you can get to know me better! My hope is that many of you will share your personal stores, as well. It’s been a while since I was able to just sit and write. Over the last two weeks, I have had ample time to catch up. Therefore, I decided to fill my readers and loyal subscribers in on what’s been going on in my life. However, I also wanted to share some fun facts about me so that you can learn why I started this blog and what gets me excited.
I started this blog almost ten years ago. It will be ten years next year that I started the brand so I will probably do something really big to commemorate its inception. I would love some ideas. For now, I will just stick with the basics!
Allow me to reintroduce myself….
My name is Ponch, pronounced with a P-O! I almost felt a few bars trying to come out, but I won’t do my readers like that so I guess I will just get to the point. I suppose the very first thing that new readers need to know is my name
- My government name is Ponchitta Lanoue. I know somebody somewhere is like “whet?” I know this because I have gotten this reaction for the last 35 years of my life. No, my mother did not do drugs when she was pregnant with me! However, she did say that she tried cocaine once, but that’s another story for another day! (RIP Mom)
The story goes that my Aunt Lola (mom’s older sister, who is named after my maternal grandmother) suggested the name because she was studying Watergate while in college and an award-winning journalist by the name of Ponchitta Pierce, during the time of Watergate. My aunt liked the name and I guess my mother did, too. Now here I am. Now look at me writing just like my infamous predecessor. Maybe I was supposed to cover Trump or something! Who knows..
Newsflash: here is the real tea! My name is pronounced Pun-chetta, not Pone-cheetuh. I am black and not Hispanic. Lanoue is pronounced La-new, which is French because my husband’s lineage is Haitian. This concludes my TedTalk! Whew, Chile! That even seems like a lot typing!
2. I am from a small, Texas town called Longview, Texas but I now live in Houston. I have a HUGE extended family. My maternal grandmother had 10 brothers and sisters and my paternal grandmother had 8. On each side, my great aunts and uncles had countless kids! I have cousins all over. You might be my cousin. I’m just saying…
3. I’ve been married twice. It was during the period of my first husband that I started my business out of my extreme sadness and frustration. I was in a really bad marriage. I didn’t know what to do. In a sense, my business saved me, not the marriage, but the blog became extremely therapeutic. I am extremely grateful for this blogging space for these reasons. I am still a hopeless romantic and will cry when I watch any love story! However, I don’t see marriage #3 in my future!
4. I named my business after myself because I could not think of a catchy name for a beauty brand. I decided that my legacy would be my namesake. It has proven to be in countless ways. I always knew that my name would precede me. For the most part, it has. Hence, the reason why I opened with an explanation of the history of my name. By the end of the post, you will be well versed in the evolution of “PONCH!”
5. I wanted to be an attorney when I was young. I have always been curious about everything, but very passionate about the law. I love shows like Law & Order, The Practice, and Law & Order, SVU. When I was around ten, I decided that I wanted to be the first African-American female Governor of Texas. I actually love politics. I guess the obvious path to get there was to become an attorney. When I got to college and realized that not only was four years gonna be difficult, another three would be virtually impossible. So, I axed that idea quick! Makeup was the last thing on my mind then, but hiding in plain sight.
6. I used to sneak and wear makeup to school in the fourth grade. By 6th grade, I considered myself a pro. Anybody that knew me back then can try to challenge me any time. I will gladly pull out old photos to prove my gangsta skills. A few words of warning: better have your receipts before you challenge because I plan to come with hard facts and data… and charts!
7. I am a foodie. I love to explore different restaurants and food trucks. I live for that experience. I kinda wish I started a food blog, but I can always share my food stories and excursions. Therefore, if you ever see a food review or critique on here, don’t be surprised! I take food adventures very seriously! You have been forewarned…
8. I am a proud ambivert. Never knew there was such a word until one day I was watching a video and saw the description fit me perfectly! Most people that know me think that I am an extrovert because I have lots of friends and I am a very social person. However, I can only take people in small doses. They drain my energy, good and bad. I learned that I like to be around people for short periods and then I prefer to get right back to my happy place in solitude.
9. I am a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan! Yes, I said it and will fight anybody behind my BOYS!!!! It all seems so appropriate considering I was a cheerleader from elementary through high school. However, I didn’t know the difference between offense or defense back then! I just wanted to put on makeup and wear the short skirts! That is not the case today! Now I can probably get out there and take Mike McCarthy’s job!
10. My favorite hobby in the whole wide world is photography. I think it goes back to my love of art and creativity. I have like three great cameras right now. I have bought cameras every year for past ten years. Most people use their cameras, but I don’t just want to take a picture. I want to take an epic picture and create an amazing movie!
Well there you have it! Now that you know all about me. It’s your turn to tell me a little more about you! I want know! Spill it! What’s your name, where are you from, what do you like to do, and can you relate to any of my facts? If not, why or why not!
Please introduce yourself in the comments. I would love to meet ya….